All of our surgeries are performed at Northwestern Medicine Prentice Women’s Hospital. A number of procedures can also be performed in our office.
Procedures Done in the Office:
- Pap Smears
- HPV Testing
- Sexually Transmitted Infection (STI) screenings
- Colposcopy—A colposcopy is a procedure using a microscope to evaluate the cells on the cervix after an abnormal pap smear. Results are usually available in 1-2 weeks.
- Endometrial biopsy—This procedure is done to evaluate for abnormal, pre-cancerous, or cancerous cells of the uterine lining. This test may be done if you are having abnormal bleeding or bleeding after menopause. During the procedure, a narrow tube is used to retrieve a sample of cells from inside the uterus. Results are usually available in 1-2 weeks.
- Loop Electrosurgical Excision Procedure (LEEP)—LEEP is a procedure performed under local anesthesia using a small electrical wire loop to remove abnormal cells from the cervix to prevent cervical cancer. Results are usually available in 1-2 weeks.
- Sonohysterogram/Saline Infusion Ultrasound (SIS)—This special type of ultrasound is done to evaluate for the presence of a polyp or fibroid in the uterine cavity. A small amount of fluid is introduced into the uterine cavity and an ultrasound is done simultaneously to see if there is anything in the cavity. Treatment will be recommended based on these findings.
- Intrauterine Insemination (IUI) —With this procedure, sperm is introduced into the uterus using a small catheter. The purpose of this is to avoid the cervical mucus by placing the sperm above it in the uterine cavity to increase the chance that an egg will be fertilized.
- Vulvar Biopsy—This procedure involves removing a sample of tissue from the vulva to rule out vulvar disorders. This may be done to diagnose lesions, rule out cancer or pre-cancer, or evaluate an area of chronic itching or irritation on the vulva. During the procedure, the area is numbed with a local anesthetic and a biopsy tool is used to remove all or part of the suspicious area. Stitches may be necessary after the procedure. Results are usually available within 1–2 weeks.
Procedures and Surgeries Done at the Hospital
Below is a list of procedures and surgeries that are performed at the hospital. All procedures and surgeries are done at Northwestern Medicine Prentice Women’s Hospital.
Please click below for information on each procedure/surgery